2006-07-10

Customer Service Needs Help These Days

My grandmother passed away recently. When one of my aunts called the phone company to have my grandmother's telephone turned off, she had an interesting conversation with the customer service representative. The CS person told my aunt they couldn't turn the phone off because the phone was in my grandfather's name, and that he would have to call them to cancel the service.

There's one small problem with my grandfather calling: he died thirty years ago, and my grandmother never bothered to change the name on the phone's account! When my aunt pointed this out to the CS rep, the reply was, "gee, we're not sure what to do, then." My aunt asked if she could just let the account lapse through non-payment. "Oh, no," the CS rep said. "They'd get a bad credit rating if they did that!"

My aunt's response: "..."

(This is where I would have handed the CS rep one of Bill Engvall's signs.)

My aunt then asked if a death certificate presented to the phone company would be sufficient cause to terminate the account. The CS rep wasn't sure, but thought that would work.

Geez. Where do they find these people?

No comments: